Monday, March 22, 2010

Back at TGH.

So today I was back at TGH for the first time in a while to help Natalia with the removal of a filter they put in to prevent clots. I never actually heard her say that she had one of these, but I always think it is good news when doctors want to remove installed medical equipment. I met natalia at the hospital and we had a really nice time while we waited. We talked about the girls and also talked about how crazy last year was. One day sis, we won't have this conversation, but it is probably still too soon. We shed some tears, but in general we were just happy to be in the spot we were.

The actual procedure went well, they were able to remove the filter and after another hour or two I drove Natalia home. To be honest, as far as the last year goes, pretty uneventful day at TGH and that is pretty much all any of us ever wants. Also Natalia shared the news with me today that she won't be writing the blog anymore. I was kind of surprised, but also not really. Completely understand what it was for and it has ran its course. I have no doubt though that all of us will hear from Natalia again and I consider myself not just her brother but also an avid follower of her blog.

It also saddens me, that Natalia had to deal with some of the things she did, the comments, the judgements. Since I was heavily involved in going public with the story (out of desperation for getting the word out about organ donation) I also feel like I should respond to it. Natalia said it well enough, if you don't understand why we went public and you in some way think that we did it for publicity, well, you are just missing the point completlely. We simply did it to get the word out, get the conversation started and move the cause along. I think that part for sure was accomplished. Natalia's transplant story was one of the most read stories done by the Toronto Star, and that is for a reason. People connect with it because they feel like it could be them or their child, that is in this situation. And that is the way we should think of it, it wasn't about Natalia, but about a few thousand Canadians who are waiting for organs and hopying and praying that they come. Some like Natalia get lucky and the organ arrives, but many (a quarter) are not so lucky. All of us, Natalia, Martin. Me and the rest of our family wish that everyone should get a chance at a new life. That simple, give people a chance to live, and organ donation can provide that chance to thousands in Canada.

Ok. Onward.

John

PS - I will make periodic updates about Natalia on the blog.
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, John.

Cyn said...

It's always a little surprising to hear the negative comments for any situation. The idea that you all wanted publicity I find hilarious and revolting all at the same time. Not for one minute did I think your press with the media was about publicity. Hearing the bits of the story that I have, I tend to believe Nat received her lungs as a result of you all getting the word out and getting families talking about organ donation.

I was hoping you might update on Nat every now and then, but I'll confess I'm truly just as interested in the things you have to say as well. So keep on blogging my newest Canadian friend!!

Julia said...

Very well said John.

I am so happy that you will continue to blog and also provide updates on Natalia. You are an incredible family and a great example of what a family can and should be. Also incredible advocates for a very important cause.

Poppy said...

It really upsets me to know that there are such uncaring and hateful people in this world. People who cannot resist kicking someone when they are down or passing judgment on decisions they make for their life. Do they really feel it is their place to take pot shots at those who are doing whatever it is they have to do to get through this life?

Natalia is such a brave woman to have put herself out there like she did. She blogged for the same reason many of us blog...we need a place to put our thoughts, our fears, our struggles, our emotions.

Most of us read her blog because we identified with her, we struggle in our lives, we have fears and battle our emotions. Some of us get lucky and we stumble across others who sympathize and empathize with us. We find others we can share our hopes and dreams with. Share our trials and tribulations with. We become friends and champions for one other. We care for one another. We pray for one another.

It saddens me to know that there are people out there who felt they had the right to say mean, hurtful, judgmental things to Natalia.

I'm going to miss reading her blog. Miss hearing about her joys in raising her precious daughter. I'm going to miss reading about her every day life as she moves forward from her transplant. I'm going to miss her, very much.

Wishing you all the very best life has to offer.

John and Angie said...

Thanks guys. I appreciate those comments and I will try to do Natalia proud. Don't worry, I am sure we will hear from her in a big way in no time at all (i have no insider info, that is just my gut feeling)

Amanda said...

Seriously? I dont' think you need to explain your or Nats motives for going private. My God, if people don't GET IT, they never will. It was obvious the reasons for going public, the mission to open people's minds to organ donation, to have those conversations...to see the other side of the donation and how it can help. Seriously...those that don't get it are probably the ones that wouldn't donate either...the selfish ones.

As sad as that is to say, I believe it was totally obvious.

And I'm very sad to hear Nat has decided not to blog anymore...I will miss her terribly.

**but I'm glad you are...my new friend.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 John and Angie. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan